Hi, I’m Laura and welcome to Crowther Cafe!
My road to blogging actually began years before I started a blog…
It first began in my habit of keeping journals from the time I learned to write. By the time I turned thirteen, I was writing in a journal nearly every day. In between those ages, I wrote a few (poor) short stories and other random writings. I’ve always enjoyed writing. (That is, until I got to college and had to write long, boring papers…that has never been my forte.)
Fast forward to the year I got married. We were renting a one bedroom apartment, while my husband worked part-time at Chick-fil-a and part-time at UPS. I hadn’t found a job yet. Meanwhile, my mother suggested that I start a blog. She claimed you could make money off of it somehow. I didn’t really think that I had anything to write about and certainly nothing to sell, so I ignored her suggestion.
It wasn’t until a couple of years later that I came back to blogging. I’d been having a few health issues and began attempting to eat more “real” food. That’s when I decided to start blogging about my adventures in the kitchen.
I began discovering the world of homemade breads and whole foods. I love cooking from scratch but still occasionally frequently cave to boxed mac and cheese. However, I focus mainly on whole foods in this blog, so while the definition of whole foods differs slightly from person to person, it basically means that you’re not going to find any “cream of” products called for in my recipes. When you see things like pasta sauce or ravioli in the ingredients, feel free to use your favorite homemade recipe.
I started out as Laura’s Weekly Menus, and posted a review, more or less, of each day’s meal. I eventually decided the name didn’t quite suit the blog anymore and changed to The Rookie Cook. After about a year with that name, I decided that I wanted to branch out a bit more and write about other things besides food.
Enter Crowther Café. To me, a café is a fun place to share a bite to eat, while chatting about parenting, faith, relationships, good reads, and everyday life. My aim on Crowther Café is to do just that – share bits of my life with you.
Enjoy the journey!
I’ll leave you with 13 random facts about me:
- I am an organizer.
- Pre-children, I enjoyed scrapbooking and playing the piano.
- I attempt to prepare healthy meals but still end up eating way too many sugary sweets.
- I am a Christian and I’d love to talk with you about it!
- I really don’t care for Nutella.
- I’m a pastor’s wife.
- I was born in the Midwest and raised in the South.
- I have 2 precious children born 20 months apart – whew!
- My dream when I was a child was to be an Olympic gymnast.
- I’ve been to Peru and would love to go back.
- I should be a spokesperson for BareMinerals makeup because I love it so much.
- I shop at Aldi Foods often. You should too.
- I have an obsession with pizza. I’m pretty sure that my kids think it’s a food group.