Over the past weekend, when I had an extra day off, I started making breakfast every morning. I think it’s become my new favorite meal to cook. Anyway, one day I decided to search out the best blueberry muffin recipe and this is what I found. Trust me, they don’t disappoint.
These muffins are incredible. My husband licked his paper muffin cups to make sure he didn’t miss even a crumb. I have even have a video to prove it. However, I decided it would be too cruel to post it on here, so you guys will just have to take my word for it. These muffins are eat-the-paper-you-baked-them-in-finger-lickin’-good!
On another note, this recipe calls for brown sugar. Did you know how easy it is to make brown sugar on your own? It’s ridiculously easy. All you need is sugar and little bit of molasses.
Take 1 cup of sugar and mix with 1 Tablespoon of molasses… (Use a fork, it mixes and mashes it better.)
…and brown sugar is what you get! If you want a darker brown sugar, you can just add another Tablespoon of molasses. You only need 3/4 cup of brown sugar for this recipe, so you’ll have a little brown sugar left over for another recipe, or you can use it for the muffin topping.
Now for the blueberry muffins:
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
yield: makes 12 small or 8 large muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
For the topping:
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon, cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- Mix together flours, brown sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oil, egg and milk. Combine with the dry ingredients. Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, greased or lined with paper cups.
- In a small bowl mix the topping ingredients together. Use a fork to mix in the cubed butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over all the muffins.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick in center of muffins comes out clean.